See I’ve been having this discussion with my girlfriends for a while. Most of the men or boys i know pooh pooh this theory of soulmates & always put it in the realm of probabilty without commiting. Like yeah its possible but at any given time there could be many potential soulmates and its upto you to pick, or that one cannot base a life on just instinct or gut feeling etc etc. But then i get back to discussing it with the girls and these are some of our doubts -mind you some are in very satisfying and committed relationships,while some are single, but the doubts still rage
1. How do you know if he/she is the one? If he/she is the one why am i not in a state of joy?
2.Is it possible to zero in on someone and deciding that they are your soulmate without them having a clue-isnt that a bit loony like picking on some gorgeous celebrity and deciding thats it for me?
3. What exactly is it that you need to work out in your present life till you arrive at the soulmate level? or should one accept that there is nothing to work out, we are perfect and wait for the soulmate to drop out of the sky?
4. Is there a cellular memory that draws us to others of a similar cellular memory so that we can then fuse together like some great scientific miracle that explodes into the world in an atombomb of love?
5. So is it just one for one?
6. If the soul is omnipresent, omnipotent and all pervading why does it feel the need for a mate?
7. Could your soulmate be of the same sex? Like is my best friend my soul mate then? Could your soulmate be of a different species then? Like your dog? Isnt it presumptous and vain to believe that only the human form has a soul?
8. Is it that human beings feel inadequate and incomplete and so need a mate to complete them? Does that necessarily have to do with our souls or our emotional financial and physical needs?
9. If we all have male and female in us should we not be able to rely on only ourselves? Like the yin and yang ardha nari, or right brain left brain theories….
10. Coming to the male female in all of us-does that mean like Shiva and Parvati? Were they the same person then?
Or were they two individuals who became one?
11. Is it possible that we are ignoring our immediate reality, refusing to accept the perfection in our lives as it exists and therfore clinging on to the notion of a soulmate ? Keep it at a level of fantasy and dream on… create a magical mystical web in our own heads and…
12. If Meera considered Krishna her soulmate without even meeting him…considering she lived in a diferent era and was married to a Rana of Jaipur(not sure about this historical fact -will have to check with my mother!) in Akbars time . She left her princely home, tired of her husbands jealousy and lack of understanding and spent her life offering Krishna’s stone idol her love and her music and finally ended her life by merging into the deity in Dwaraka
I think i can do it too- why does a soulmate have to take a human form?
I can believe Ganesha is my soulmate
the thought is making me really happy right now
and i can eat as many modaks as i like – he dosent even notice that I’m getting fat!